Bitter gourd – ½ kg
Oil 200 ml
Red chilli powder - 50 gms (or as per your requirement)
Green chillies – 3-4 cut into 3-4 pieces.
Garlic cloves – 8-10
Curry leaves few
Mustard seeds 1 tsp
Tamarind pulp – ¼ cup
Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp
Asafoetida – ¼ tsp.
Jaggery – 2 tbsp
1. Wash the bittergourd and pat dry it. Cut it into small pieces. Remove the seeds .
2. Heat oil in a kadai. When it is hot, splutter the mustard seeds.
3. Add asafoetida, curry leaves, green chillies, garlic.
4. Add the bittergourd pieces and sauté till it is soft.
5. Add the turmeric powder, tamarind pulp, jaggery, salt and sauté again till the raw taste of the tamarind pulp goes.
6. Remove from the stove. Add the chilli powder and mix well. Keep aside to cool.
This Article is Posted on 13 Apr 2015 in Food Section and Indian Recipes