Ivy gourd - 1 lb (about 1/2 kg)
White Vineger - 3 tblsp
Oil (preferably gingelly oil) - 3 tblsp
Salt - to taste
Red Chilly Powder - 2 tblsp
Turmeric Powder - 1/4 tsp
Fenugreek Powder - 1/4 tsp
Mustard Powder - 1/2 tsp
Asafoetida - 1/8 tsp
1. Wash the ivy gourd and trim the edges. Put them in hot boiling water for about 60 seconds and take it out.
2. Dry the ivy gourd well before proceeding. Cut it into round pieces or long pieces.
3. Mix all the ingredients under 'Pickle Masala'.
4. Mix the ivy gourd pieces, required salt, pickle masala and vineger in a clean, dry bowl. Add a little extra salt as this is a pickle.
5. Heat oil in a kadai. If you prefer, pop some mustard seeds and curry leaves. Well, mustard seeds and curry leaves are optional but adds a south indian flavour to the pickle.
6. Add this oil to the mixed pickle.
7. Store in a air tight container after it cools. Let it rest for a couple of days before using the pickle. Keep mixing pickle once in a while.
This Article is Posted on 13 Apr 2015 in Food Section and Indian Recipes