Semiya - 2 cups
Chicken pieces - 1 cup (for chicken semiya biryani)/ Assorted Vegetables* - 1 cup (for vegetable semiya biryani)/ Shrimp - 1 cup (for shrimp semiya biryani) etc.
Onion - 1 (chopped)
Tomato - 1
Ginger garlic paste - 2 tsp
Green Chillies - 2
Biryani Masala - 1 tblsp
Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
Fennel Powder - 1 tsp
Chilly Powder - 1 tsp (or as needed)
Mint leaves - handful
Cilantro - handful
Whole Garam Masala - (1 bay leaf, 2 cinnamon sticks, 4 cloves, 3 cardamon)
Yogurt - 1 cup
Ghee - 1 tblsp
Oil - 1 tblsp
Salt - as needed
Chicken Semiya Biryani
1. Marinate the chicken with yogurt, garam masala powder, salt, chilly powder and turmeric powder.
2. Fill a deep pot with water and bring it to a boil. When the water boils, add salt and little oil in the water and put the semiya in.
3. Let the semiya cook until it is 75% done. (It should have a bite to it.). At this stage drain the water completely and keep aside.
4. In the meantime, heat another pan with little oil and ghee. Add some whole garam masala to it.
5. Saute the onions nicely till it turns golden brown. Next add the green chillies and ginger garlic paste and fry till the raw smell vanishes.
6. Add the chopped tomatoes and let it cook till the tomatoes become nice and mushy.
7. Add chopped mint leaves, cilantro and fennel powder and saute for a minute.
8. Next add the marinated chicken, cover and let it cook in the marinated liquid until the chicken is completely cooked.
9. Check for salt and add the partially cooked semiya to this. Gently toss the masala with the semiya.
10. Cover it tightly with a lid and reduce the flame to the lowest setting and let it stay for 15 minutes. You can also put this in the oven.
11. Garnish with chopped cilantro, toasted nuts and raisins. Semiya Biryani is ready to serve
This Article is Posted on 21 Apr 2015 in Food Section and Indian Recipes